- Annual growth rings of trees in temperate zones hold lots of information that scientists can use to explore ecological questions concerning the history of a landscape.
- This broadcast demonstrates how tree-rings are collected in Missouri forests in order to study how specific trees grew in the past.
- Students can further explore how climate affects tree growth via the associated Data Nugget, The Mystery Under Tree Bark
- 19 minutes
Information about the Author:
- Chad King was a graduate student in Forestry Program working with Rose-Marie Musicka and in association with the Missouri Tree-Ring Lab.
- For his dissertation work, Chad investigated the history of the history of fire in the Missouri Ozarks using techniques in dendrochronology (the study of tree-rings)